Day 10 Via Francigena, Garlasco to Pavia, 23.4km

Date: Saturday 18 August
Distance covered to Rome: 273.8/1027km
Terrain: Flat with some Bush bashing
Overnight: Ostello Santa Maria in Betlem, €20 (including air conditioning!!!)
Feeling: under control.

I obviously survived the night to walk another day and I was soon stepping out into the dawn. I fired up the head lamp this morning as I knew I would be going slightly off piste to start with. I didn’t want to misstep and tumble into the canal to sink without a trace.

More rice, rice, rice, corn (see previous posts) and then a little hay and perhaps some lupins(?). My early morning peace was overtaken by multiple camouflage-clad men with dogs in dusty 4WD cars. Obviously Saturday is ‘huntin’ season’ and I scuttled along a bit faster.

I was lucky to score a coffee stop at about 730am and had a little moment when John Farnham’s ‘You’re the Voice’ came lilting out of the bar! Where am I? Moments like these really make me smile.

From then on I felt like I was in a very tame David Attenborough documentary. The path took me off the road and down by the riverside. There were birds aplenty and then there were the multiple lizards, rabbits and a very shiny black snake! Who knew that Italy had snakes? Thankfully we scared each other in equal parts and headed speedily in opposite directions.

Relaxing in Pavia as we speak. A really beautiful city with an amazing covered bridge.

Tip of the day: Don forget that you’re the Voice and you’ve just got to understand it!

14 thoughts on “Day 10 Via Francigena, Garlasco to Pavia, 23.4km

1. David Toole August 18, 2018 / 5:47 pm

Looks like you are doing well Mel. Almost 1/3 of the way. Carry on………

• Life...One Big Adventure August 19, 2018 / 2:00 am

Thanks David. I look forward to following your and Lue’s progress. It will be weird to be all in Europe, but in different countries!

2. lue August 19, 2018 / 2:07 am

Such a treat to read your posts. You are really moving along and seem to be taking everything in your stride, pardon pun! How much does your pack weigh? I am trying to get mine down to 15 pounds (about 8 kilos). Empty pack weighs 4pounds and I have to carry a almost 2 pound CPAP machine so everything else has to weigh in at 9 pounds (about 4 kilos). Tossing things aside!!
    Continue to do well, hope you meet nice people when you have the need to socialize and comfy beds and FOOD at the end of each day. 🏃🏃🏃🏃🏃

• Life...One Big Adventure August 19, 2018 / 2:11 am

Oh Lue, I don’t think you really want to know how much my pack weighs! I suspect it is at least we

• Life...One Big Adventure August 19, 2018 / 2:13 am

Sorry, hit the button too soon….I suspect it weighs at least 13kgs and possibly more at the beginning of each day as I start with 3 litres of water! Needless to say, the water is all gone by the end of the day

• lue August 19, 2018 / 2:51 am

That is almost 30 pounds. What on earth do you have in there!!!! Take a couple of the bricks out!!!! No wonder you are knackered at the end of the day Mel.

Liked by 1 person

• Life...One Big Adventure August 20, 2018 / 12:41 am

I just keep telling myself that everyday it is a little bit lighter. Or maybe I am getting stronger

3. Dilly Dally August 19, 2018 / 10:23 am

Ah that’s better. Beautiful spot. Enjoy!!!

4. memorialbenchstories August 19, 2018 / 11:54 am

Thanks for sharing this. We always meet snakes in Italy and have had too many close encounters particularly on the bikes 🙂

5. mm4214 August 22, 2018 / 4:28 pm

Oh I would have belted out You’re the Voice with gusto. I love that song and it would have definitely been my earworm song for the rest of the day. Not a bad song to keep pace to as well 😉

• Life...One Big Adventure August 22, 2018 / 8:33 pm

You haven’t heard my singing voice! It’s enough to frighten small children and animals! But I did have the earworm all day! 🙂