The light was starting to soften and the breeze picked up as we zipped up our jackets and tucked in our scarves. Although Summer was just around the corner, it was still definitely wintery as we strode across the ochre sand of the Thar Desert.
We had driven about 40km further west out of Jaisalmer, and 40km closer to Pakistan, to enjoy a night in a ‘luxury’ desert camp and the obligatory sunset camel ride. This was all part of our Webjet package tour and would prove to be one of the more memorable activities during our visit to India.
Continue reading “Pretending to be Nomads in the Thar Desert”
The Indian adventure continues…
Each day brings exciting, and sometimes challenging, new sights, sounds and smells.
We are now down in southern Rajasthan at the romantic white city, Udaipur. In the last week we have:
• been stunned by the living city inside the Jaisalmer Fort,
• ridden camels across the sand dunes of the Thar Desert and walked bow-legged for a while afterwards!😉
• listened to soothing chakra music in the imposing Mehrangarh Fort and
• stood amused and confused in the colourful chaos of the old Jodhpur bazaar.
• bumped and jiggled and rattled over the back roads to soaring Jain temples,
• edged slowly through, joyous singing and dancing weddings and
• had more selfie photos taken than I have had hot dinners!
• Laughed at the traffic and the ability to fit a complete car chassis in the back of a small tuk tuk,
• Visited a small desert school to drop off some school supplies. The children stared at us as if we had dropped in from out of space, but hopefully the pens and pencils will be useful.
• Stared open mouthed at the opulence of the City Palace in Udaipur, and
• Watched the golden walls of the Palace glow at sunset as we bobbed around Lake Pichola.
What an amazing country!
Yes, I have a lot to learn about India, but I suspect there are a few of you out there who also have never heard of the Thar Desert.
There is nothing like an Intrepid tour to take you slightly off the beaten track and at the same time, open your eyes and your mind, to new places.
The Thar Desert is certainly one of those eye-opening spots.
Continue reading “Where is the Thar Desert?”
Have you ever felt equal parts excited and nervous?
Yes? Me too, and I am now!
Continue reading “Being Intrepid in India”